Updated: Jan 12
To quote from the British Official History:
"At long last the possession of the seat of government and principal port of German East Africa, and of the terminal section of the Central Railway - now about to come finally under Allied control throughout its whole length of 780 miles - had given the Commander in Chief the new base and shortened line of communication of which he had been so long and so urgently in need."
"No immediate benefit could be expected, owing to the destruction of the railway bridges and much of the rolling stock."
"But the work of repair was quickly put in hand, and by the 4th October 1916 supplies were going forward from the new base."
"General Headquarters, which had been at Korogwe up to the 4th September 1916 and was at Tanga from the 5th to the 11th, opened at Dar Es Salaam on the 12th September."
"Soon afterwards patrols pushing westwards along the railway established contact with the main British force by way of Morogoro."
No. 3 East African Stationary Hospital was located in Dar Es Salaam, which became an embarkation port for those wounded Allied soldiers who could safely be repatriated.